NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/09/21 04:43 PM
Re: It's Handgun Wednesday.. Couple of Colts

Quote:

What's amazing about it? Webley was building reliable double action revolvers from 1860.

What is amazing about it? Or the Webley for that matter?

Multiple shot hanguns using a brass case. Able to fire five or size cartridges, I assume without reloading. Why the Colt was called the "six gun".

When many military long arms were single shot rifles. Perhaps bras sor paper cased.

Many handguns were probably still muzzle loaders.

And the average guy, farmer almost certainly could not afford the latest modern brass cased firearms, and still used muzzle loading shotguns, rifles or handguns. And if more modern single or double barrelled longarms, shotguns, cape guns.

I have one of my ancestors muzzle loading shotguns still. I think it was still usuable pre WW1 or pre WW2. My grandfather buried it or one like it during one of the Word Wars when the authorities were confiscating civilian firearms off "German named" Australian born citizens. By the pommie born bastards .... Being buried caused it to rust and ruined it. It was buried because they were unsure whether it was registered and decided to not take the chances of being locked up for having a German name and owning an unregistered muzzle loading shotgun ....

So anyway, a brass case five or six shot, revolver would have been quite a novelty. Only affordable by the military or the wealthier persons.

I am not sure what the equivalent would be for the change of the era firearms from muzzle loading BP firearms to brass cased and cased breech loadings, expecially firearms of more than one shot with magazines? Perhaps when the sci fi laser guns eventually or ever get made! Our old brass cased fully auto firearms, semi autos, bolt actions or older will be obsolete. But for decades no one will have a laserblaster!

Or perhaps one day caselss ammo. I have written in my head. , a sci fi novel where the firearms use liquid explosive or a small squirt of gas, to propell the projectile. No open bolt needed to eject a used case. The internal bol movement only needs to chamber the projectile, so the cyclic rate would be a multiple of the current 600 to 1200 rounds per minute. Or 6000 to 12000 rpm for caseless gatling style cannon/MGs. Such a gas or liquid propellant firearm's magazines could be far smaller or carry ten times the "ammo" of case magazines, so instead of say 30 rifle rounds, perhaps 300 projectiles in a mag. A small gas bottle of propellant. No primer, use electric ignition. Dust, moisture and debris proof desing, just an escaping gas port. The action could be substantially sealed and closed excpet for cleaning or fixing jams. The overall length much shorter.

The closest I think has been a German desinged rifle using solid propellant and no brass case. I assume it was not successful operationally.

Ha ha, my mad thoughts.

But imagine such caseless firearms coming onto the scene. Most of us would be using our old brass case guns for many decades still.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com