3DogMike
(.400 member)
03/09/21 12:33 PM
Re: It's Handgun Wednesday.. Couple of Colts

Quote:

What's amazing about it? Webley was building reliable double action revolvers from 1860. They were solid frame models which had to be reloaded in the same fashion as single action revolvers. By 1876 patents were issued for the Webley Pryse double action revolver which was a top break design which simplified the reloading issue. In tern they quickly developed speedloader arrangements. Which means that while the 'cowboys' were dicking about with single actions, the Brits were using double action revolvers capable of being quickly reloaded.

The Webley series; not exactly the best looking girl at the dance? This is a "Boer War" era Mk4 .455 that will never have won a beauty contest

As well, one must admit that the .45 Colt cartridge beats the original .455 Webley cartridge for power factor hands down…..
.45 Colt originally 40 grains of black powder, 255 grain bullet @ circa 900'/sec (later reduced)
.455 Webley originally ~15-20 grains of black powder, 265 grain bullet @ circa 650'/sec

This and the solid frame of the Colt is certainly stronger than the hinged top break of the Webley.

Quite true the Webley is a quicker reload just as is the Smith & Wesson Schoefield.

Which was in service longer?….certainly the Webley in it's Mk1 thru Mk6 iterations
(lest one forget, General George Patton wore Ivory stocked Colt Single Actions in WWII)

Now, all this said, I have a great affinity for my above MK4 ….. great fun at the range. It is not a powerhouse like a .45 Colt, but was good enough for shooting unarmored opponents at close range.
Oh….and I somehow doubt the reality of either 'cowboys' or 'Poms' dicking about trying to reload ANY revolver on a plunging horse in a close quarters engagement?
- Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com