Ripp
(.577 member)
09/05/21 03:53 AM
Re: Which Colt?

Quote:

After spending most of an afternoon qualifying with a 45acp Commander. I broke out my 9mm Commander for a little competition with the instructor who continued to use his 45. My 9mm recoiled like a 22LR after shooting the 45. Is 45acp manageable--of course. Is 9mm softer shooting in the same gun--sure. Does that matter; only you can decide when head shots and follow ups count more than holes in paper.

There was a time when I felt that 9mm was insufficient, and I still worry that 9mm lacks in head to head with 45 FMJ; but with modern self defense loadings Im convinced 9mm is as good if not better than 45acp. Its principle advantage is more "BB's" in the gun and more BB's is always a good thing.

AS member 303 pointed out in another post yesterday, is not that same "modern self defense loading" ammo available in .45acp? I have checked and it is...

We did a bullet test a couple years back at a handgun course with TACTIC located here in the valley. Owned and managed by retired military .. Former SEAL team members and other special ops guys.. One of the best bullets we found for going through barriers..windshields, wood, etc and carrying on their point of aim path was the Hornady Critical Duty.. grouped well and maintained good point of aim through windshields.. we were all shooting 9mm .. I do see those same rounds are offered in 45acp as well..

One evening at a little competition we were shooting bowling pins off of a sheet of plywood.. some were shooting 45acp, some 40's and the rest, (including me) were shooting 9mm's.. there was a very clear and distinct difference in energy when those pins got him with a 45acp vs a 9mm.. that could not be argued

I do agree with the more BB's principal as does the TACTIC guys.. having said that.. the Glock 21 holds 13+1 .. which is a lot of rounds for most situations.. everyone carries an extra mag.. so, 27 rounds..most issues will be resolved well before then.. hopefully..

All in all, I mostly carry a 9..but do believe the 45 will do just fine as well in most applications.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com