vykkagur
(.300 member)
10/04/21 09:21 PM
Re: Movie Guns--you know you want

Quote:

When I said Hollywood--I meant movie.

Ive been scheming about the the Edward Fox Jackal rifle on and off for a few years. For meeeee Id want it in 22 mag; but thats just meeeeeee. Ive seen some good and bad attempts, never what Id want. The best "looking" one was based on a Cricket, so 22lr only. Finding a 22mag as a donner is the first mountain to climb.

I meant movies, definitely, and Hollywood's dismal record for butchering history in the name of making "a good story".

I don't hate the .22 Magnum. As a kid, I shot a family friends' Martini bull-barrel in .22 Mag, and made some of the most incredible shots of my young life. However, as a silent sniper round, it's useless. To be effectively suppressed, it must be subsonic. There's a name for a subsonic .22 Mag: it's called the .22 Long. Or .22 LR subsonic. The only advantage of the Magnum is it's higher speed, which renders it non-silent. Same bullet, just longer case and more powder, more speed, more noise.

The man's round to which I refer is the .22 Hornet. Centerfire, so it can be easily reloaded to perform well at lower velocities. Loaded with shotgun powders, using heavy bullets and high twist rates, it's tailor-made for the job. I've seen a test comparing penetration of a .22 LR subsonic with a Hornet handload using a heavy bullet, and the penetration in timber by a round that fired with a "click" was about 4 times that of the Long Rifle. Just what you would have needed for penetrating a hard-head like DeGaulle.

And as Marrakai pointed out, this is a handgun forum, and I've gone off on a blatant tangent. My apologies!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com