EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
29/03/21 01:40 AM
Single Action for self defense ?

Would you / Do you / Sometimes? Working in a gunshop, we're getting a lot of new handgun buyers now. Happily Im in a state that issues carry permits. Sadly many of the buyers barely know which end the bullets come out. We recommend training and provide basic instruction at the time of the sale. Not all buyers want to carry, many just want "something for home". Combine all that with a limited inventory and in some cases limited strength/arthritis; Oh and lets not forget limited budget.

I frequently find myself suggesting a Single Action. We have been able to stock the Ruger Wrangler (22LR six shot revolver). They typically sell for well under $200. That fits the budget, minimal recoil, easy to use role. Yes it does require cocking the hammer to fire and it is slow to reload. In one case a couple bought two, so they wouldnt have any trouble using the other gun.

With all that in mind I started wondering if Single Actions are "still" a good option for self defense? My thinking is that "It depends". It depends on your mindset. Are you willing to understand the limits and positives of the gun(s). It depends on your "threat". If your threat involves likely multiple armed attackers, then maybe not BUT if you can pretty much bet on a low level single attacker, then maybe so. It also depends if your "attacker" has 4 legs. Quite a few of our customers, either live on a rural property or frequently visit their home in "the mountains" where they hike/bike and walk the dog in the woods. We have a fair number of Black Bears and even few reports of Mountain Lions. Admittedly actual attacks are very few; but we do have folks worried about them.

Working in the shop I can carry pretty much whatever I want and change from day to day. One day it might be a G17, another it might be a Sig P365; and on a few it might be a Ruger Vaquero (some days its a couple). I started carrying the Single Action(s) as a demonstration to the customers that BIG guns can be concealed TOO! OK, the 5 1/2" is a bit of a wardrobe conundrum but it can be done with a simple vest. Although it is easier with a shorter (3 1/2 inch) and a second gun is just as easy.

My guns are 45LC but thats just because they are what I have. They could be 38s or 44s or even 22s (although Id prefer 22mag for any kind of defense).

Ive had customers actually choose a Single Action over a DA/SA revolver because the heavy DA trigger pull of the DA stroke made them "want" to just use the SA so they thought they might as well stick with a Single Action only.

Im reminded of an instructor who told me that the loudest noise in a gunfight was the click of and empty/jammed gun AND that the fastest reload was a second gun....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com