vykkagur
(.300 member)
11/03/21 02:49 AM
Re: The 455 Webley....BRITAIN’S BIG-BORE HEAVYWEIGHT,

Quote:

Quote:

.......(snip)......When I envisioned a modern replica, I had actually in mind something a little more robust. With modern steels, there's no reason not to be able to produce the late model Mk.IV in a modern .38, and even an authentic Mk.I/II/III or Boer War Mk.IV in .455. The ammunition is available, and so are reloading dies.

I have read on a separate source that the reasoning (???) behind the choice of calibre is that this is initially to be produced for the market in India.
Apparently there is/are rather strict (draconian) restriction on allowable calibre for civilian pistol permits there.

So.......whomever in India buys one of these for "self defense" had better bring along a more effective tool like a cricket bat for "follow up shots".
- Mike

HA! Good one! If the quality of this new Webley-in-name-only revolver is anything like the copies they've been putting out up to now, you'd probably have a better chance of hitting your target by chucking the cricket bat.

I think you're spot on about being aimed at their domestic market and hobbled because of that. If a replica has to be produced overseas (which is, sadly, how manufacturing works these days), then it should be produced explicitly for export to the major markets, the increasingly few countries that still allow us to possess such evil "implements of Satan". Ironically, the manufacturing country would likely be one where the very citizens building the guns are prohibited from owning any themselves. The replicas need not be called "Webley" (copyright and all that). The design has an appeal all its' own and stands on its' own merits. And it needn't be a barrel-burning magnum, either. The design can't realistically compete with the Dirty Harry guns for strength. Regular .38 and .45 calibers, if not .455 then Auto Rim or the ACP half-moon option, will do fine. There's a lot to be said for a big chunk of lead loping along at a dignified pace, as long as it can land reliably on the spot where it was aimed. Load your own ammo, cast your own slugs, burn off the stresses of the 21st century punching holes on paper (choice of silhouette on the target is at your discretion) or despatching empty beer cans with malice.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com