EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
06/03/21 11:34 PM
Re: Pedersoli Howdah 45 / 410---Review / information

Im the guy that goes bawls deep when I feel passion for something and sometimes I spend a couple fortunes buying "almosts" instead of saving for the real thing--thats exactly what Ive done with the "I have to have" a Howdah.

I started with the Black Powder version of the Pedersoli Howdah. Ive got one of the early models, with the attached ram rod. The new versions have a seperate ram rod, which I like better for actual use. Honestly I wish Pedersoli had more of a pistol grip, instead of something that feels like it started as a shotgun that was chopped off. Finally I bought a kit version. I couldnt do much to change the grip but I did shorten the barrels about 3 inches (back to even with the stock). It carries much easier with the shorter barrel. Yeah I do occasionally carry it in a crossdraw holster.

I broke down and bought one of the 45/410 versions. Im not a fan of the Auto and Burglar clones because they dont look like a Howdah. The Alaskan version has a better grip. No its not traditional looking with black rubber coated grip and forearm nor the hard chromed silver barrels; but it does feel better to me. I tested it with slugs and 45Colt. I find it acceptable, Im just not sure for what. I also occasionally that too, in a shoulder/bandoleer style holster. Its fun! My big addition was a rubber spacer fitted behind the triggerguard. It makes shooting more comfortable.

I couldnt resist the Diablo, when a used one came into the shop.... OK its even farther from a true Howdah BUT maybe its a better "modern" version primarily because its 12 gauge instead of 410 and now its available in 20 gauge. The 12 ga barrels are a bit too short even for my tastes (the 20 gauge version is available with longer varrels). The "as sold" grip is too short and looks like it came off of a Thompson SMG but there is a longer version available as well as a longer forearm, which "sorta" makes it look a bit (tiny bit) better and certainly feels better. A second PLUS is that it uses 209 primers in a break open design. It uses a single hammer that has to be "flipped" left/right for the second shot. I can "live" with that but it does make the follow up shot a bit slower when the Tiger is clawing its way up your elephant. All in all its fun and the factory holster is well made for those times when yo feel the urge to carry and for those times it has the look of a "sawed off" 12 gauge if not a 19th century Howdah.

Powerwise the Pedersoli BP 20ga and the 12 or 20ga Diablos feel like they are more trustworthy for the original intent. The Pedersoli 45/410 has the benefit of modern bras case cartridges. Im working to "build" a brass cased 410 with an exposed heavy bullet with 300+ grain slug and crammed with BP??? If I can ever get the recipe right, I suspect itll be really fun on both sides of the barrels.

So like once junkie said to me, "Its not my fault man, its an addiction...."

Contact Us NitroExpress.com