EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
08/02/21 11:10 AM
Re: Magnum barrel length--How short is too short

Quote:

If you're going with Reeder and you have and like the 500 S&W, why not just skip the used gun at your shop and go straight to the goods with Reeder's stretch-frame single action in 500 S&W Magnum?
He even calls it the Howdah.
It's only $2500, which after buying the used gun and paying for a custom build on it, the stretch-frame gun doesn't cost much more.

Honestly Im not a huge fan of 500SW or for that matter 460 SW, either. The length of the action looks too long to me. I know thats just a personal thing and I suppose I could grow to like it but why. The 500 and 460 seem like oddballs to me, too long to be pistol rounds and too short for rifle rounds. It doesnt seem bad in the Encore but Ive played with X frames and it felt like a gun designed for the HULK.

Hahaha we both know for this purpose 45Colt is really 'enuf and frankly where Im hunting the likelihood a needing a "Back Up" gun is so slight as to be almost a joke (that is If I saw someone else with it....).

In truth this is just another project gun and the build is just as much fun as the finished product. 454 or 500JRH will both mean new barrels and cylinders so either will be an upgrade from the current 357.

Im thinking between 4 and maybe 4 3/4 inches. I currently have 3 1/2" and 5 1/2" 45Colts. Something 4ish seems good for packing and reasonable for ballistics

Contact Us NitroExpress.com