Marrakai
(.416 member)
22/10/20 09:48 PM
Re: Sistema Colt Modelo 1927

9.3x57:
You will have to send me over a Benet-Mercier, none at my local gunshop!

I would be interested to know the details of that metallurgical comparison in American Rifleman. Most modern 'experts' contend that the Sistema Colts are every bit as good as the Hartford originals. Also, I can't imagine they had many to test back in the 1950s as they were still in service in Argentina at that time and didn't start turning up in the US as surplus till much later.

If one of the softer critical components is the barrel though, I would believe it. The chamber on the original barrel from the CFS-marked pistol mentioned above was so oversized that a round inserted into the chamber would rattle from side to side. Fired cases looked 6-months pregnant! I considered it unsafe to fire as a blown case was inevitable sooner or later. Accuracy was in the toilet of course. Can't imagine how it got that bad, when the rest of the pistol is still perfectly fine. Simply fitting a new barrel brought accuracy into line with any GI Government Model Hartford Colt. Weird...!

And I agree on the early gun-mags, and not just American Rifleman. A lot of the modern publications are comic-books!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com