CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
19/10/20 10:24 PM
Re: Fading away?? The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere....

Quote:

Quote:

Even groundbreaking cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor have struggled with maintaining relevance. The greatest merit that the 6.5 CM had was that it offered an improvement over .308 Winchester in an identically sized rifle. There are already rounds that exceed the 6.5 CM in many arenas: 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and others like them.

Ha ha ha ha

Especially when far better rounds existed even before it was created!

I would be a bit circumspect here. The 6.5mm Creedmoor was designed for a specific application: It will function in an AR-10. In that application the question is whether it provides some advantage over the 7.62x51 NATO (.308 Win.), when employed in a long range precision semi-automatic sniper rifle (SASS). In tests by the U.S. military the round excelled. It has been adopted by various branches of the U.S. services for the purpose mentioned.

So, yes there are other big bangers in 6.5mm caliber, but those bangers won't work in the AR-10 platform.

One might ridicule the .308 Win. in similar vein. However, that cartridge isn't going away any time soon in favor of the .300 Win. Mag. or other boomers.

I'm not being snide or snippy. I just wanted to point out that the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for a specific task on a specific military platform. Hornady knew what it was doing and did succeed in the endeavor.

NOW LET ME GET BACK ON TRACK WITH THIS THREAD!

Hmmmmm, the classic 1911 design. Do I love it, or do I hate it? You decide:

But wait a minute! So far nobody has even mentioned the Super .38 auto. Now that's a story in itself.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com