TH44
(.375 member)
23/08/20 03:25 AM
Fake Howdah(s)

I have thought long and hard about posting this but here goes

I recently bought this because it was cheap and I do like DB pistols, I have 10

Obviously a cut down shotgun, probably in the UK as all pinfires are on the "obsolete calibre" list

16 bore with8 1/2" barrels sold as a Howdah pistol which it is not

The only other I have seen was at a dealers stand for $5000 the guy would not have it was a fake

To continue the Howdah discussion I have many "Howdah" pistols of which only one possibly is

Shown with this one and my "baby" Howdah (not) The Wilkinson in .577 Snider is the only one

I bought these as Howdahs

Top is a Horse pistol .550 with 10 1/2" barrels

Middle also a horse pistol 16 bore 9" barrel

Bottom a belt pistol in 14 bore, I liked the odd hammers

Top, bought as a Howdah from Holts another horse/travellers pistol
bottom the only double sold as a Travellers pistol

An ex employee of Purdey's told me they only listed cartridge pistols as Howdahs

Cased pairs of percussion "Howdahs" are purely dealer's/auctioneer's attempts to elevate the price

That is not to say that one in a thousand MAY have seen the inside of a Howdah
Pairs of cartridge Howdahs were made by Alexander Henry and Purdey mainly for Indian Maharajahs

The final nail in the coffin is this pic from Greener's "The Gun and its Development"

Showing what is really the classic Howdah? or not?

The only reference in ay contemporary hunting book I have seen is the use of a DB 12 bore loaded with ball in one barrel and LG (00 buck) in the other
Possibly my Howdah rifle 18" barrel in .577/500?? posted here

I still love DB pistols, especially large bores but "Howdahs"??

I quit accept that the current terminology lists any large DB pistols as "Howdahs"

I have held back my opinions for some time to avoid aggravation but the recent posts tempted me too much

I await your comments!!

TH44

Contact Us NitroExpress.com