tinker
(.416 member)
09/08/20 03:45 PM
Re: More Howdah fun......

Quote:

OK Im truly fixated and maybe just a bit warped when it comes to Howdah pistols. Im in the process of "building" my own version.

So now I need your help naming the cartridge. Im still up in the air as to what to use as a parent cartridge and the final bore size. Im toying with 450, 458, 500 and.... so think the bore size plus the name (as in 458 Lott)

Here are some of the cartridge names Ive come up with; but Im open to suggestions.

500 (Short) Nitro or 500 Nitro Short
500 Express
500 Panthera
500 Kurz
500 Sturm
500 Raj (going for the India feel)
500 Jagr
500 Shikaaree (Hindu for Hunter)
500 Sikari (Nepali for Hunter)
500 Sharpe (I guess I read too many Richard Sharpe novels)
500 Edel
500 Behold
500 Rogue
500 Manchester
500 Inferno
500 Fantom

Im torn between wanting a name that would be appropriate for a 19th Century cartridge and a Modern name

Quote:

All of your suggestions make good sense for the role you suggest EXCEPT Im not looking for the most ass. Im looking for something I can shoot, something thats bigger than a "conventional" carry handgun cartridge. I have magnums and a 454 Casull. Im sure 500JRH is a great round, Im just looking for something different. Then theres the current issue of getting ammo, specifically specialty cartridges. I have a source for 500SW brass and a saw...

Im NOT thinking of this as a hunting cartridge, rather a point blank stopping cartridge where even a 44mag would do. At THAT range, Im pretty sure the 500 Special would penetrate deep "enough" at bad breath range. If that doesnt work Ive considered the bottlenecks like a shortened 458 SOCOM.

Im hard pressed to know when Id ever be using it on anything bigger than Wild Boar or maybeeeee Black Bear climbing up my tree stand (another reason why it has to somewhat easier to control with one hand). Again NOT as a hunting cartridge; but as a stopping round meant for head shots at less than 10 feet. A number of years ago I had failed to stop a Boar with a 44mag BUT when he charged, I had an instant stop with a point blank hit (under 6 feet).

More to the point its a experiment meant to be fun. Thats why Im asking for help naming a baby

Quote:

You REALLY dont get this do you? I dont care what YOU think about the performance of a cartridge that hasnt even been created yet. Ive tried to explain the point of this thread over and over and yet Ill try one more time this time saying it slowly and with small words: I thought it might be fun to name a cartridge. I can say it in a couple other languages if you have trouble with English.

Im not quite sure why its come to this point. I do value your knowledge. Perhaps you failed to read what I wrote. Or perhaps you felt like you had to share your thoughts. Maybe you failed to read the whole post; but as I said you are MISSING THE POINT.

Im willing to believe you meant well but your responses have been akin to saying that youre wearing a White shirt, when asked if its raining. You are of course free to read half of what Ive written here and suggest that Im picking the wrong cartridge again.

Ive tried to be polite but youve left me to believe Ive been asking a tree for aluminum because houses are made from both. So thank you for your responses, if I ever want to know what colour shirt your wearing, Ill check to see if my umbrella is wet

You mad breh?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com