szihn
(.400 member)
13/05/20 12:48 AM
Re: Colt Single Action Army-- 45 Colt Caliber

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the SAA.

I think thye are "pure class".

I have owned 2 in my life. My 1st was when I was 15 years old and it was a 1st generation black powder SAA made in 1881. It was beat up and way out of time but that's why I got it for a price a 15 year old could afford. I spent time and a bit more money and under the watchful eye of our neighbor I restored it to 100%function condition with perfect timing. The neighbor was the head of restorations for the State Museum system at the time, so he was "the man" when it came to doing such work.

My 2nd SAA was a 44 Special, 3rd generation I got when I was still in the Marines. I had to bend the front sight a bit to the left to get it to shoot to point of aim, but once done it would fire 6 shots into a target the size of a 50 cent piece at 20 years. I killed a bunch of varmints and 2 deer with that gun.
I no longer have either one. I sold them at times in my life when money was needed.
But a nice SAA is a dream gun I am sure you'll enjoy it a great deal.

Oh..................try 8 grains of Unique and a 260 grain keith bullet. I had a S&W M25-5 in 45 colt that was REAL accurate with that load.

In my 1st Gen SAA I simply used a case full of black powder compressed about 1/8" under the same 260 grain bullet but used black powder lube with that load.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com