DarylS
(.700 member)
29/01/19 05:55 AM
Re: The-case-for-the-1911...

LOL
11.9gr. (I used 12.0)W630 with the 260gr.HP Speer was a load straight out of Speer's manual. 960fps from the Wilson bl.
The 300's where real thumpers though with the 7.7gr. BD loads.
That load was out of the 3-book treatise I noted. I'm still looking for them. I know they are here. I loaned them to my bro and pretty sure I recall him giving them back.
230 FMJ hardball ammo made nice "plinkers".
At a time when the 'best' custom .45's of note, were making 1" Ransom Rest groups at 50 yards, I was quite happy with my 2" to 2 1/2" groups off bags. At 25 yards, it just chewed a little hole of 1 to 1 1/2". Those Wilson barrels really shot well. Getting the bushing and links right, also is a must.

Out of the box, the first .45 ACP 1911 I shot was a nickle plated early 1970's model. I borrowed it as I just couldn't get out of "C" class IPSC with my 4" .44 mag M29. In that, I used Special cases, with 250SWC of course, and 17.5gr. Herc. 2400. That was fun. But reloads really spanked me for time. The recoil didn't help, either.

The first IPSC shoot I entered with the borrowed pistol, I used WW hardball & placed 11 th (Hmm or was it 8th?) out of 75 shooters. I wasn't quite at the bottom of "A"class, but was very happy to be where I was. No one in "A" shot anything but .45's. That stock gun, mil-spec sights, was a breeze to shoot - double taps were simple. That was 1976, I think.

In about 1980 I went down to the Justice Institute for some courses and managed to get into another IPSC event, this time borrowing a model 1917 in .45 Colt. LOL - that was fun. I still managed to stay in A, although I don't quite know how I did that. Shooting Speer's "flying ashtrays" with 10gr. Unique. Must have had speed loaders of some sort, otherwise couldn't have happened.

I was putting on IPSC-type courses for the RCMP and my team's boy's (& one Mounty girl)up here at the jail range, in PG (the maggots didn't like it LOL), set up so their revolvers could be competitive. I switched back and forth between the .45 1911 and my 4"M29. With the ..45ACP - no contest. That was a lot of "fun with guns".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com