Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
01/02/18 11:26 PM
Re: Colt .36 cal 1851 Navy Revolver

Quote:

The 1860 and Walker, both loaded with round ball of course, were favourites for "running" buffalo.

My G-G-grandfather (Siegmund Maria Rothhammer), a transplanted Bavarian, joined the Union Army at Sioux City, Iowa in 1862. When it was revealed that he was a university (Regensburg) trained naturalist, he was made Hospital Steward, 6th Iowa Cavalry. They were attatched to the 'Sully Expedition', whose purpose was to harass and attack factions of the Sioux Nations and to destroy the product of the Sioux hunts.

His actual assignment was to make studies of the geography, flora, and fauna of the Dakota Territory. His samples are stored at the Smithsonian in the trays in which he packed and labeled them, and some of his journals and other writings have become cirriculum for the North Dakota schools (though they butchered his name).

Why am I telling you all of this? ----- Buffalo and an 1860 Colt. Among his journals is a rather amusing tale of Siegmund's first encounter with the American Bison.

During their first year out, and while 'Sig was still enthusiastic about the entire affair, he was out scouting for interesting specimens while a fellow bluecoat or two stood guard for hostiles. This time that duty fell to Captain Cram.

Coming over a rise, several grazing bison came into view. Excitedly, 'Sig drew a .44 Colt, jumped down and started firing at one of the beasts that was facing him at some distance. He had been 'chomping at the bit' to get a shot at one, it seems. As I recall what 'Sig wrote (I have copies of his journals here, somewhere) - the good Captain dismounted, the bison charged, both horses took off as ol 'Sig was firing away, standing firm.

'The fifth ball brought froth to the beast' (or something close to that), he wrote, yet it was still charging and it took a shot from the Captain's carbine through the skull to fell it, right about where 'Sig had been standing.

I'd imagine there was some inspired conversation between the two as they went after their horses... .

Contact Us NitroExpress.com