Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
01/02/18 05:12 AM
Re: Colt .36 cal 1851 Navy Revolver

Quote:

All the ones I have owned shot well but high. if yours shoots high take it to a machinist and cut a dove tail in it and replace the front sight with a taller one. You will have a blast.

From what I was told by the 'old boys', accurate reproductions of Civil War era Colt revolvers will always shoot high 'out of the box'.

The reason, I've been told, is that the originals were made that way intentionally so that new recruits (most of which had never handled any firearm, let alone a pistol) were taught to aim for the big, shiny, brass belt buckle of their opponent (visible through the powder smoke) and get a chest shot.

When I brought my repop musket to a shoot with a few of the same 'old boys' present, I was asked to bring it again to the next shoot. When I did, all of the surviving original members of their club arrived with original 1863 Springfields.

The club (in Santa Cruz, Ca.) had started in nineteen thirty something when one of the 'old boys' (then young) was talked into buying an original, unopened crate of one dozen 1863 Springfield Rifled Muskets for $12.00 (IIRC) from the local hardware store. He gave several to his buddies and the club was formed.

Shooting them in volleys was a blast!

From an old Sears, Roebuck - a trapdoor, no less:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com