DarylS
(.700 member)
29/11/17 03:02 AM
Re: Handgun hunting?

No I havne't Ripp. I have shot heavy loads in a .45 Ruger Blackhawk, as well as owning both .41 Mag. Blackhawk and a .44 Mag. Super Blackhawk. They were all easier to shoot compared to the M29 due to the flip absorbing the recoil. I do not like the excessive muzzle flip, though - harder to get back on target. In the SA's, I do like my Blackhawk .357 (1970) with 4 5/8" bl. It's easy to shoot, but for me, slower on plates than the .44 4" - back in the 80's and 90's, I did a LOT of shooting with that M29. I used to shoot our qualifier with it during the lunch time when training the boys. With the 300's, my palm and thumb web would sometimes split and bleed a bit. I still have a little bit of the '.44 lump' on the thumb bone.

On the same front, my 6", and it's predecessor 6 1/2", along with the 8 3/8" 29's, were all easier to shoot, recoil wise than the 4", but I still shot the 4" more accurately, especially at long range. Perhaps it has to do with my soft hold. The longer barrels have more muzzle rise/flip, while the 4" comes almost straight back. I've done really well with the 4" versions I've owned (3) right out to 300meters on a ram sil.

My current one does well with the 275gr. SWC and 15gr. AL7. They are running 1,210fps & are quite accurate and easy to shoot, compared to 20gr. W296 and the 300gr. truncated cones, commercial bullets (Bullet Barn, I think).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com