Rule303
(.416 member)
07/09/17 07:40 AM
Re: FBI-unlearns-history-9mm-vs-45..interesting article

Quote:

Surprising what training does for you.

yes- I know this refers to a different era - but both these responses were taught to us in training.

"Lawyer" - "Constable, why did you shoot "X" 6 times in the chest when the first shot was a fatal one."

"Constable" turns and faces the judge, not the lawyer and states. "Your Honour - I was taught to shoot centre of mass 6 times, re-load and shoot it another 6 times, repeating as long as the threat against me and the public was standing. The criminal went down on my 6th shot so I reloaded then holstered my revolver", radioed in the case then checked the criminal for life signs.

Not many years after this, 2 shots to the chest, one to the head was the drill, repeating the drill and reloading, etc., due to the odd use of protective vests worn by criminals.

With proper training, there is no time to get all psycological about -there is only time to react to training in a life threatening situation.
Centre of mass - powpowpowpowpowpow-reload-powpwopowpowpowpow-reload etc.

Perhaps some people joined police forces, who should have been working at desks or on construction jobs. Of course we all know that happens and these are the ones who get fellow police officers killed.

Once the shooting is over, show a great deal of remorse, then private, party-hearty that night - with close, trustworthy friends, of course.

The military found way back when that about 4% of infantry soldiers have a psychopathic streak and can willingly shoot another person the rest can't. So the use of dummy's for bayonet training and silhouettes for shooting. Then blanks for training against other soldiers helps over come this. Also painting the enemy as sub human, what there will do to your kin if they get there hands on them helped. The strange thing now days is with Islamic fighters the sub human thing is true so no need for propaganda. They do that with their own medial releases.

Same with Police. There no time needed to get psychological about it, it is already there. LEA & security agency's in the US question survivors of shootings where the good guy had the drop on the bad guy but bad guy raised gun and shot good guy. There were on two reasons in order of priority 1) Just could not bring themselves to shot another human. 2. Worried about the treatment they would receive from the legal system and their departments afterwards. A lot of Agencies changed their training and how they dealt with their own after a shooting. Those that enlightened their after shoot treatment of officers retained more than lost those officers. Reversed the loss rate.

Daryl, it sounds like you organization had the right mind set about Officer Involved Shootings. Most use to say if you shoot some one you will loose your house and treated them like lepers. All LEA I know of have for a while trained to shoot until the threat to life or serious injury ceases.

The above is a broad outline there are many more factors that come into play. ie Those who have/develop a combative mind set do better in real life shootings than those who do not. The "OHHH SHIT I'm gunna die, I'm gunna die" is not conducive to good shooting where as the "Your mine arsehole" is.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com