Jim_C
(.300 member)
27/02/16 02:44 PM
Re: Loading for defense?

Ash, nothing special to the story, just a slow-rolling drive-by done by a fellow attempting to discourage me from making statements to the police. I thought he was lighting firecrackers at first, then realized something had "bit" my leg and arm. Neither injury was particularly disabling, but the next day they ached like any penetrating wound.

From the perspective of "stopping power", the .25 acp is handicapped by small size (frontal area) and weight, as well as low velocity. I seem to recall an article from Rifle or Handloader years ago that discussed the use of lathe-turned pointed bullets to enhance penetration, and I've seen some experiments using cast LBT-style bullets to try to increase frontal area, but no matter what you do it is still a tiny little bullet moving at (relatively) slow velocity.

I've had a couple of rifles in .25 acp over the years, the most recent (the one I tried handloading for) was a converted Winchester low-wall. I've seen a couple of custom insert-barrels for break-action shotguns as well. But really, for what you get out of it, it seems a waste of time/effort/funds. If I wanted a modern rook rifle I'd go with a .32 or .38. I've always thought a little bolt rifle in 30 carbine would make an excellent small-game centerfire.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com