Homer
(.416 member)
20/11/15 07:58 AM
Re: Handgun for IPSC - your thoughts

G'Day Fella's,

John, just keep trying various handguns at the range and LGS, its the best thing you can do.
If you can get to shoot the ones you are more interested in, even better!

Sig Sauer firearms have an exceedingly good reputation!
Some models also have an exceedingly high price.
For example, the P226 X-Five "Classic" that I mentioned above, sold for $4,370.00!!!
And let me say, that despite this Retail price, there wasn't much "Cream" in that sale for me!

As I mentioned, one of the local IPSC shooters uses a Walther PPQ M2, and he really likes it!
John, because I was so impressed with it (PPQ M2), this is why it went onto my "Maybe" list of a new 9mm's.
Also, can I please give all you blokes some good advice. Please don't just listen to other peoples comments with regard to a particular firearms and then dismiss the suitability, design etc, etc of a particular firearms or accessories, suitability and usefulness!
In my experience, most people have little or no real understanding or knowledge of "This, That or Whatever", when it comes to various aspects of various firearms. But when they work in some BORING Uninspiring Job 5 + days a week, and come Sunday, they have an "audience" and the opportunity to actually say something that people will listen to, unfortunately so many of them seem to make the most of this situation!
I must be getting Old!
Don't get me wrong, some of the most profound statements and observations I've ever heard, have come from New Chums (including from Apprentices at Work!). They just see things differently, freshly and from a different perspective and we do need to listen!!!
I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if you are looking for Good, Well Based Advice, speak with and observe the local Champions in action and not the Never Will Be's!
In my experience, most of these great shooters, are very approachable and give freely of their knowledge and advice (just don't be a pest, as it's their Sunday as well)!

John, as Daryl said above!

Double Action Only (DAO) pistols are not very popular in IPSC etc comps.
Personally, and as with most shooting situations, your first shot is the most important one!
Because of this, in my experience, Single Action pistols are the best option.
You do need to Practice, Practice, Practice with your chosen pistol/s (at home and with Dummy Ammo in your magazines). Get dressed as you would be at the range, then continue to Draw and Fire (simulated) at a small Dot (I use a 1"/25mm or smaller Black target patch), on a contrasting coloured wall etc, of your garage, workshop.
Focus on this Dot on the wall (for a few seconds and until you are completely relaxed and focused on the job at hand), and without changing your focus, draw the handgun from the holster, only then and when the handgun is pointing in front of your face and "down range", do you look for the Front Sight, then (if it has one), disengage the thumb safety and ONLY THEN, do you PUT YOUR FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD (Read that last line AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNDERSTAND!!!!!), then position the front sight just under the Dot on the wall ("6 O'clock Hold"), and pull the trigger!

Then practice doing Magazine Changes/Reloads!
Stand on a piece of carpet etc, thats large enough for the magazines to land on, to cushion their fall (4 Feet square).

My single best bit of advice I can give to everybody is; "You want people to Talk To You....... Not About You"! Please read that last line again!!!
This pertains to SAFETY on the range!
You need to remember what it is we are doing here, and what the ramification of POOR Range Safety could be!!!
I am exceedingly proud of the fact that in 35+ Years and 100,000+ rounds of ammo down range shooting (just) IPSC, I have NEVER once been Disqualified ("DQ'ed") from the range, or had my "On The Line Safety" (or other) questioned!

John (and others), as I have mentioned above, you have my email address, if you have any questions.

Regards
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com