DarylS
(.700 member)
04/01/15 04:00 AM
Re: Handgun for IPSC - your thoughts

Haven't shot IPSC or IPSC type shooting since the late 80's, very early 90's. I really liked my slightly modified 1911 in .45. I ported the sides of the slide and drilled 3 holes each side of the barrel as per Ed Sanow's (I think it was his) article in a ".45 AUTO magazine I still have. The only other thing I did was fixed sights and a Wilson barrel. Minor changes.

I shot only ball equivalent loads for competition, except for some 300gr. loads I was working with, and the bear loads of 260 Speer at 960fps.
The muzzle showed no rise with the ball loads, making rapid, accurate fire quite simple.

Today, due to the drop in power requirements allowing previously graded minor calibres to compete with with .45's, I lost interest in the sport. IPSC, for me, has turned into a race gun sport - one I am not interested in.

For me, the 1911 is/was where it's at for IPSC. If shooting one of the 9mm calibres - it would be my Colt Police Positive or Ruger Blk. Hawk .357, not a spray and pray fat grip piece of plastic.

These of course are merely personal choices - each to his own.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com