eagle27
(.400 member)
31/07/14 05:48 PM
Re: Handgun of the Empire

Quote:

The .455 Webley cartridge. I gather it is quite a powerful handgun cartridge, especially at the time? Is this true? What does it compare to?

For some reason, in my ignorant mind, I had always pictured these Webley's as being ineffective and low powered. But perhaps that was the .38 round which gave me that opinion?

Happy to be educated.

Most often compared with the 1911 in 45 Auto. The Webley had a heavier 265gr bullet at a lower velocity than the 230gr 45 Auto cartridge but some say the heavier conical shaped bullet at lower velocity had the edge on the Auto for close range killing. Apparently many got quite skilled at using the big Webley in double action mode when the chips were down.

There are quite a few stories around of the effectiveness of the 455 Webley in action, Pondoro Taylor recounts shooting a lion with his Webley, through the shoulders dropping it on the spot. A famous Ghurka soldier used his Webley to take out five Germans, and got another two with his khukri knife when he unexpectedly came on their patrol.

It was a heavy revolver but sat in the hand nicely and to me, did not recoil overly much, although I've shot a 6" S&W 44 Magnum and didn't think it was anything special in the recoil department.

The Webley revolver trigger would not win any prizes on the range, it was very heavy but smooth as was the double action. I carried mine in a shoulder holster when out hunting, handgun hunting illegal here but at the time was living in wild South Westland. Not designed as a concealed carry weapon but would be okay in a hip/leg holster as the military used.

Had a lot of fun with my Webley and tried a variety of loads and bullets.

185gr FMJ, 250gr HP and 250gr Cast loads for the 455 Webley

Contact Us NitroExpress.com