2152hq
(.300 member)
18/09/13 12:42 PM
Re: 1872 Open Top

I've got one in 44 Special. Bought it used, but looked never fired. Someone did however try to remove the wedge unprofessionally and left a ding in finish of the bbl.
I really like it. Never shot BP in it, just my usual light smokeless loads w/Bullseye. Very accurate in spite of the sights!
Mine has the brass backstrap & trigger guard,,1851 Navy size. I think they offer (offered) the larger 1860 Army size steel guard with some calibers.

(I had another that I bought at the same time as the 44special but that one was in .44 Colt. Full nickel plate and unfired. I sold that one. The '44 Colt' caliber these Cimmaron/Uberti repros are made in is different from the original 44 Colt caliber the old 1872 Open Tops were manufactured in. IIRC this 'new' 44 Colt is just a new name for the 44 Russian caliber. Sounds more Westerny..)

I did do a bit of tuning on it after I got it. The firing pin was ice pick sharp and pierced at least half of the primers on the first batch of rounds fired. Shortened it just a touch and rounded the tip.
I replaced the factory bolt & trigger spring. A wire spring unit from Brownells worked wonders for the action. The original was very heavy and actually making the bolt drop prematurely mimicking a third hammer 'click',,the open-top has only two.
Fixed the heavy gate spring and protruding screw and the sharp angled steps on the ejector rod tube that made the rod hang up when trying to use it.

Never used the 'safety' built into the hammer. There for import purposes. I just leave it alone and in the 'disappeared' position.

It doesn't do anything more that a common SAA Colt/Ruger will do. Just like the looks that's all.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com