lancaster
(.470 member)
25/03/13 05:06 AM
Re: Evanston Chrysler Sunbeam 1942 Production .45 ACP

Quote:

Yes, of course. That is obvious. And more so for the 40 years of standard issue AFTER WW2 due to the vast quantities of .45 ammo existing at the close of the war.

However, the .45 was used as the platform for ballistic testing of helmets and body armor from initial introduction of the M1917 helmet {the "British" design} thru the M1917A1 thru the M1 and development of body armor in WW2. Interestingly, the Army never addressed the failures of the .45 thru a program of improvement {as was done with the .30 Government cartridge} at any time in the cartridge's "lifespan"...and still hasn't. In fact, we are now issuing those Marines tabled to carry the 1911 ammunition deemed ballistically substandard in the early 1950's!

I think people playing aroud with ballistic missiles, intercontinental bomber and nuclear submarines dont waste much brain about pistol ammo. its not realy important in this world.
I believe that the 10 mm Auto is the best handgun cartridge for the 21. century but understand the sentiments americans ahve about the 45 auto.
for myself I have only a bloody Walther PPK in 32 ACP today and dont feel that I ever need more handgun.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com