9.3x57
(.450 member)
09/03/13 12:20 PM
Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years.

Quote:

Quote:

Nice find.

I owned a OP for a number of years. An old nickel plated, 5" barrel gun stamped Detroit police dept. I bought it from the widow of a Detroit copper who was issued it in the '40's. Should have kept it.

Daryl the Police Positive is indeed like it, except smaller frame. Innards are pretty much the same.

I like the DA pull on the Army Special/Official Police/Python {all the same guts}.

I dumped all my wheelguns except for my .44 a while back and only have autos now, but I had a lot of fun with a S&W Model 10 collection, etc.

Don't see too many Colts.

If Colt revved up and restarted making the New Service I'd start buying wheelguns again...

I like those old Detroit PD models. I love the fact that Detroit used to issue revolvers with a nickle finish. I have vauge memories of going to visit my grandparents in Detroit in the seventies (I was actually born there. My mother born and raised. Moved to Idaho in 69 when I was couple years old). I recall seeing Detroit cops and marveling at how "shiney" their revolvers were. What can I say except that I was very young.

I owned two DPD .45 Colts. One was a 6" bbl nickel plated 25-5 and the other a 4" bbl blued 25-5. I worked in a gun store St Clair Shores and we sold lots of .45 Colt ammo to Detroit coppers. That gun had a certain following for some years due to the ruling by "Soulman" Young that...except for his bodyguards...no LEO's could carry JHP ammo. This then made the use of auto pistols less desirable.

I sold those revolvers some years ago. They were not marked DPD as they were individual purchases as were all of the .45 Colts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com