9.3x57
(.450 member)
04/03/11 04:09 AM
Re: Pistol Practice, Snow, Sleet, Dark of Night or Shine.

Sharps;

This Glock is a 17, 9x19. Muzzle flash is quite noticeable in the dead of night but the camera flash is worse. What can be seen in the pix is not what I saw, it was dark for me, with just enough light reflecting off the snow for me to see ski track and the targets which were dark wood chunks against the white backstop. Takes a lot of concentration to stay upright when it is that dark, but night skiing is pretty fun none-the-less.

As for ski's, I have no idea what Erik uses! I've been a soft-booter since I started. I spend a lot of time off the skis when snaring so soft boots are sort of a must, and we have little good gear to choose from anyhow. I've gone thru three pair of ski boots this season. My skis are norsk Madshus Epochs. Lots of float for new snow. I've skied many many hundreds of miles and never skied a groomed track in my life, so all my jaunts are at least 1/2 trail breaking if I'm alone.

Daryl, it was blowing and snowing hard off and on. Snow is variable, real deep not much farther up.

Another recent jaunt, skied to the trees, then snowshoed thru up higher where I could get back on the boards. I wanted to check out a spot above my place. 5 degrees Fahrenheit, 3 feet of new snow. I Google Earthed it. Took me 5 hours to go 835 feet up in elevation and...only 5 miles! Took 4 hours to go 2.5 miles to the top and an hour to ski back. A total groin buster.

BTW: I like the new Glocks a lot!

This time at a flat spot. Here, Sharps, shooting the 10mm along the way. Had a failure to return to batery with a 22# spring so back to the stock spring.

At the top;

Home back in the valley. Cramping up and DONE...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com