9.3x57
(.450 member)
20/04/10 10:27 PM
Re: stopping small animals

We will soon be testing the Judge w/ various loads on paper and in the media. Initially, it looks...bad. Very inaccurate pistol tho I am thinking a CLOSE range shot load might be worked out using something like #2's for ranges just beyond where you can place your foot. Tho my buddy has killed a number of grouse with his, the gun throws very poor patterns. Initial impressions are that the short barreled gun shoot better patterns than the long barreled guns, probably due to the additional damage done to the shot column by the rifling in the longer tube {?}.

I really liked the concept of the gun, but the one I have used {not mine} is quite unimpressive.

.410 Buckshot is pretty poor stuff in the best guns, but in the Judge, well, we will see.

IIRC, John Wooters once wrote that the most dangerous charge he ever faced in his career was stopped with a .22 pistol, that being from a rabid fox. He and a friend were finishing a quail hunt and putting their guns in the rig when a fox came hauling out of the brush right toward John. He jerked the {Colt Woodsman?} out and killed the thing at a few feet.

Wherever we have long-roaming canids the rabies issue will rear its head again, no doubt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com