9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/01/10 02:07 PM
Re: A well armed man.

Here we have a necessity to keep one loaded and ready for a variety of reasons, mostly involving DOGS.

So, while the 640 is handy, so is the scoped rifle that leans by the bed.

Just about 2 weeks ago or so I shot what turned out to be a about 90 pounds of a neighbor's dog.

During the midday it made an attempt to get thru our front gate, probably after our sheep. My son's Springer Spaniel ran it off.

Then it looped up a half mile and came back, this time clearly chasing the sheep and among the horses.

Stupidly, I felt heart strings pulled when I saw the purple collar. I know better, sweet as can be, they all are sheep killers and horse chasers. Anyway, I gave it another chance and chased it off. I should have shot it then and there.

Strike 2.

Then later it came back and faced off with the steer. The steer charged it. I was at this point standing by the barn with the .264 leaning on the fence post and in my mind I said "If it runs off, leave it alone, but if it stops and comes back, break the trigger". It came back and I broke the trigger.

Strike 3. Yer out.

I suppose a .264 would change the mind of an intruder, too.

PS: I didn't know whose dog it was as tho it had a collar, it had no tags. It is illegal to let a dog run at-large here. Turns out the neighbor searched all over the place and finally found blood on the snow and came to my place asking why I shot his dog. I told him. We shook hands, he apologized, and that is the end of it. Nice fellow.

I have stitched up too many sheep. People, don't let your dogs roam.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com