Ripp
(.577 member)
02/01/10 05:07 AM
Re: Best handgun for self defense

Quote:

Quote:

I just wish I could have a handgun !
Sadly in Australia only druglords and crims are qualified to have em !!

Which is unfortunately the case in most of the world.

I've been reading a lot of responses from members from your part of the world, who for the most part are of the opinion that you don't need handguns in Australia.

Fair enough.

But I would counter that if you wait until there is a need, it won't be available.

Most cops in the states will never need their handgun. Most will make it through their careers without ever drawing it from their holsters.

Frankly, I'd say that our attachment to our handguns is just a reflection of our attachment to our rights, and we exercise them not so much because there is a need but instead simply because we can.

Read with NEW insight into this thread. Spent most of last week in Houston.. not exactly a crime free area in the U.S. --the next door neighbor to my sister and her husband is a 24 year veteran of the Houston Policy department. He basically stated what has been said in this thread so many times...if you are in a situation that requires the police you had better be able and prepared to handle it yourself with "your weapon"..because in most cases by the time the cops get there all will be over and the only thing they are doing is filling out police reports...He was a very strong proponent for one being able to carry a handgun and protect yourself. There is NO way cops can or should be everywhere...which, I guess, is why the states with the "right to carry" laws here in many cases have lower incidences of ugly crimes that states who don't...

My time there only reiterated the fact you have to be able to take care of yourself..whether that is with a handgun, martial arts training, or whatever...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com