Checkman
(.333 member)
09/11/09 03:49 AM
Re: Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20)

That is an excellent question and one that I have no answer to.There is no importer stamp on the weapon. Now I have an even better reason to pay Roy Jinks to do a letter on it.

My father is retired Idaho State Police (1973-1994). When he was hired on he was issued a 4 screw S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman. When ISP switched to the S&W Model 65 in 1979 he purchased the 28. In 1991, when ISP switched to to the S&W Model 4586, he purchased the Model 65. And finally, when he retired in 94, he was presented with the 4586 as a retirement gift.

Of those three the 4586 is the only one that is marked. They laser engraved dad's years of service his call sign and the ISP emblem. The 28 and 65 are unmarked. I don't think they even have ISP engraved on them anywhere though I'll need to check.

I also have a S&W M&P Model of 1905 3rd Change with a 6" barrel. The serial number gives it a rough date of birth of 1912. Another one that I'm seriously considering having a letter done on.

Love those old S&W revolvers. I really like to imagine what they might have gone through.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com