Checkman
(.333 member)
09/11/09 03:09 AM
Re: Best handgun for self defense

9.3X57

Quote:

Or put another way, based on shooting butcher stock, dogs, coyotes and other varmints, trapped and Born Free, I'm not particularly impressed with any service pistol cartridge.

But I like the 9x19 NATO.

You know the old saying about only bringing a handgun if you know you're going to be in a gunfight. However as a cop the handgun is what I always have on my belt and I thinks it's important to have confidence in your ability with the handgun as well as the caliber you use.

I used to carry the Sig Sauer P220 in 45 acp. I was a good shot with it, but I have always preferred the 9mm Parabellum. I don't care what all the tactical gurus say I like having magazines with seventeen cartridges (I carry the G17 mags for my reload) and with my smallish hands I don't feel comfortable with the GLOCK 21 - which is the model carried by the majority of officers with my department. Yes I can shoot the G21 and I can qualify with it, but I don't like that big blocky grip. Don't even like the G21SF with it's slimmer grips design. I worry that under stress I might fumble the G21 and I believe that a locak of confidence can be fatal. And again I like having lots of bullets. It's probably all in my head but I like having lots of bullets.

I can get hold of the G19 grip and put the bullets on target.That's important to me.

I carry the Federal 124 grain +P HST jacketed hollowpoint. Good load. The 45 guys carry the 230 grain +P HST Jacketed Hollowpoint in case you're curious.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com