9.3x57
(.450 member)
24/03/08 12:01 AM
Re: Best 22 LR pistol?

Quote:

I failed to mention the Federal ammo won't work in my friend's M41 either.

I may try some of what you suggest and report back.

Curl

Yup, leads me to believe there is an engineering geometry not compatible with that round {extractor/rim relationship, etc}.

IIRC, the 41 was designed to handle standard velocity .22 ammo, isn't that correct? I would be a bit surprised that mere recoil impulse was insufficient to function the pistol.

Indeed, it is possible that a STRONGER recoil spring may be needed.

Weak recoil springs can cause all sorts of ills in an auto, allowing the slide to recoil back so fast it then "bounces" of the recoil stop of the frame and goes forward so fast it actually overshoots the round in the magazine, giving the impression that the slide never went back far enough to strip a round, when in fact it went all the way back and returned before the next round in the magazine had time to raise into position to be picked up by the bolt face.

Other factors like a wide rim can aggravate this, as they may create some excessive friction on the rounds in the magazine, contributing to slow feeding up of the rounds in the magazine.

And, one of the most common troublemakers is a weak magazine spring that does not force the rounds up fast enough to get stripped by the bolt.

Gotta do the slow cycle thing. You may note slow or herky-jerky feeding of the mag rounds, or some other anomaly. Also, observe the gun in its fired and jammed condition. Jot down what you see so you don't forget. Sometimes there is one small and slightly weird thing that goes un-noticed in a cursory glance that solves the problem with its repair.

I am pretty sure we can run this rabbit to its hole. Time and patience are sometimes the only tools necessary, but in general, when there is a problem with an auto pistol, there is also a solution.

Once you get this one worked out, you are ready to tackle a case of B-series Stars and a boxful of Lugers...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com