Marrakai
(.416 member)
15/05/23 01:12 AM
Iron Curtain Escapee

Since acquiring a really nice CZ75 in the so-called "pre-B" configuration more than a decade ago, I have been on the hunt for a "short rail" example to add to the collection. Unfortunately very few seem to have made it to Australia due to the high tariffs on goods from Warsaw Pact countries in the 1970s.

Luck was on my side however, and I managed to pick one up a month or so back for drinking money, and it is finally in my hot little hands!

Its a 1978 build, and although showing a bit of wear externally, the bore is VGC+ by my estimation.
Here's the seller's image from the internet advert:

I'll toss up a better photo or two when I get time, but meanwhile I'm on the hunt for a pair of original waffle-pattern grips to replace the Pachmayers, and a set of period-correct CZ sights so I can remove those oversized monstrosities and restore the original lines.

Anyone here got early CZ grips or sights in a bottom drawer looking for a new home?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/05/23 03:54 AM
Re: Iron Curtain Escapee

I like using a CZ75.

DarylS
(.700 member)
15/05/23 06:00 AM

CZ's seem popular with the current run of IPSC shooters. The 9mm and .38 super have both gained ground, since the 'MAJOR" qualification was reduced from the .45 ACP to something the 9mm could meet. That means the .38 SPL can also meet major calibre qualification - LOL.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/05/23 05:32 PM

I considered a CZ75 or CZ85 a few years ago. During the plandemic. A newcone. But didn't want to buy sight unseen and more unhandled.

I do need a 9 mm.

But a .45 ACP, or a .22 RF, in the short term allows me better flexibility for range visit attendances. A .22 RF is also cheap to feed.

I like my handguns simple. Marrakai's wanting old original sights sounds similar for his "antique".

Marrakai
(.416 member)
11/09/23 12:27 PM

The Czech pistol discussed here was included in an exhibit at two of our Arms Collectors public displays in the Top End this year:-
Fred's Pass Rural Show and the Katherine Show.

The short-rail CZ75 is top right in the display case, complete with borrowed waffle-pattern grips! Next down is my pristine "pre-B" example.
The two CZ85s (one marked "Made in Czechoslovakia" and the other marked "Made in Czech Republic") and the other 3 interesting pistols
belong to another member and good mate who shares this unusual infatuation!

lancaster
(.470 member)
11/09/23 02:52 PM

looks a little bit star wars with the sights now but you will find it. my own device in such a case are the words of the chinese wise "when you siting long enough on the river you will see the corpse of your enemy floating by"

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/23 06:58 PM

CZ 75 and 85s good using handguns.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/23 07:04 PM

Marrawah,

How many people look at your displays at these town show days? Much interest? What security do the blue boys, black shirts here nowadays insist on ?

Good positive PR for gun owners. I never see such a display at our local country town shows. Let alone city shows. Adelaide Show finished yesterday. I didn't go though.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
12/09/23 02:29 AM

Neat collection. Many of the surplus pistols have flooded our shores. I carried a 52 for some years on ski treks. Nice and flat. Very interesting pistol but its frailty and the commonly reported slide cracking swore me off of it.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
12/09/23 06:06 AM

Marrakai - great pick up!
They are supposed to be very tough pistols, all the best trying to feed the darn thing with no bloody pistol powders here! Must get expensive using factory ammo!

Marrakai
(.416 member)
12/09/23 09:56 AM

Quote:

no bloody pistol powders here

Serious competition shooters are buying bulk factory ammo for practice, saving their jealously guarded reloading components for the big matches.

Fun-shoots with collector firearms are a bit kinder on the pistol-powder and primer stash.

Just recently I saw some (almost!) sensibly priced pistol powder imported from Spain. Hopefully more new powder and primer manufacturers, not hampered by the silliness of the western hemisphere, will become available to us in Australia moving forward.

I hope so, because this short-rail CZ is stupidly accurate and whoever tricked-up the trigger really knew what they were doing. I just love shooting it!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com