NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/05/07 02:20 PM
Re: Here's Bosco

Quote:

Do you think that he is too young to be introduced to the sound of a starter pistol? He is growing by the day and is putting on some weight nicely.

Personally I would not do it quite yet. And if I did at quite a distance by someone else and see if he notices it. If he doesn't, a bit closer. If he notices it, take him over, let him smell the gunsmoke and gun oil, and give him a treat.

Siegfried knew if I smelt of gunsmoke and/or gun oil and would start doing backward spins and twirls in excitement. "We were going shooting!" Even if I had only handled a firearm in the house.

His introduction to gun fire was by accident. About this time of the year when I had planted a fresh hay crop, galah parrots (native parrots which can be legally shot on crops) would sit on the field a lot and eat the newly planted seed. So lots of shotgun 'work' to do. Seeing maybe a hundred birds on the field I grabbed the gun and ran down and fired off a couple shots. "EEEK" I heard 50 metres behind me. Of course Siegfried had followed and scared by the gun was running frightened back towards home. I called and he stopped and I got him to sit. Came over and patted him, reassured him, let him smell the rifle, reassuring him the whole time. Then off home for a treat.

Next time did it on purpose with a .22. Not a flicker from him. A treat. Two or three goes later a shotgun. Not fear.

Not an expert at all, so if anyone disagrees with how I did it, please tell.

Peter's use of other dogs is a very good method. We used to train our sheep dogs with older sheep dogs. Much quicker and easier to train a puppy if a well trained older dog is available. The young ones watch their older peers and learn from them. Good habits as well as BAD habits! So pick the their peers well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com