jgttechjunkie
(.275 member)
01/08/05 02:21 AM
Re: Some pictures of my GSP Siegfried

The breed is not naturally disposed to be "territorial".
Most people I know, even those living on farms, have GSPs under close control, either in a kennel or in the house. One or two people I knew who had GSPs as free spirits lost them to cars or coyotes (coyotes where I live are a special problem, even in town).

I spent a lot of time with my first GSP with training, but eventually sent her and the ones that came after her to a professional trainer, so I don't have the skills to offer you any advice. One of the advantages the trainer had was that he was on horseback so he could quickly discipline a dog that was doing something he didn't want done.

A good professional trainer knows dogs and how they think. When I would get a dog back after some time with the trainer it always amazed me how quickly it would respond to the command "COME". Like lightening hit it. At least the first day back. The second day they would respond, but without the same edge. By the third day it was clear that the dog intended to complete what it was doing before it obeyed the command, and that was where it stabilized.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com