BNagel
(.224 member)
29/06/09 11:14 PM
Re: Airdales

I have an Airedale. The breeder is mostly into show dogs but has had customers wanting hunting dogs. Her comment is the guy went to pit bulls (for hog hunting in Texas) because "Airedales DO know when to let go". They are smart, protective and ours stays inside mostly. Not smelly, but they have to be brushed out A LOT and heat is a bad thing. If they are trained to water and hunting they are known to be great. Justin was raised in Utah as a show dog and returned -- "rescued" by us in the Houston area. My two daughters and my wife really enjoy him! Justin thinks he is in charge of puppy behavior and we have to watch him around little ones, especially boys on any kind of wheel (skates, etc.)

I think sometimes people have cross-bred Airedales with something bigger. Maybe they smell? Terriers are ground oriented and were bred to handle otters as well as rat problems in England. You might get a digger -- the breeder's yard is dug up bad.

They have an undercoat and have to be trimmed at least four times a year to look "right".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com