JohnWilkes
(.300 member)
20/01/09 04:51 PM
Re: Terriers

Hello new to the site and looking forward to participating

Paati that is a fabulous looking terrier.I have a young Patterdale/Russell cross bitch v. similar looking.

I have kept and hunted with working terriers all my life
both in the UK and here. Whilst I have kept,and still do, other types (mostly Lurchers, gundogs, Scottish Deerhounds) the terriers are perhaps the most versatile.

I have worked mine to fox (dens and bushing), rat, rabbit (ferreting,longnetting bushing flushing to gun or lurcher) trained a couple as rough shooting dogs (and I do mean rough LOL, not exactly soft mouthed when excited)hunted Mink and grey squirrel, found and flushed pigs with them and used them as follow up dogs on deer etc.
They are prone to be hard headed and not for everyone but a good one is as game a wee beast as ever drew breath. Have seen video of some nice leggy Russell types in SA and Zim doing a cracking job over there.

Would love to hunt with Airedales one day there is a gent who has a website for his working airedale kennel, I disremember his name, might be worth a look.Also plenty of top class UK line
Russells and Pats (Nuttalls etc) in the US now.

An interesting if a little out of date book on terriers is "Hunt and Working Terriers" by Capt J.B. Lucas available from Tideline as a reprint.Some East African stuff and European Boar with terriers as well as Badger,fox etc.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com