DarylS
(.700 member)
08/01/17 05:23 AM
Re: Why Do I Fish?

I do like eating fish - Coho are the best Salmon with Sockeye second best, springs(kings) third, maybe atlantic's 4th, chum(dog salmon) 5th and pinks 6th - but fresh out of the river close to the ocean pinks are good - not after being frozen.

Same order in smoking them.

Smaller rainbow trout or brookies from deep cold lakes can be very sweet. After they reach a couple pounds, just taste like Steelhead- which are OK, but the smaller ones are sweeter.
Smoked trout are really good, but I'm told smoked Rocky Mountain Whitefish/Grayling are best fish smoked. Smoked a 24 pound Lake Char once - excellent fare - quite moist though due to the oil some like it (I do) some don't.

I prefer white fleshed fish - halibut best from the ocean, burbot best from fresh water, with pickerel/walleye next, then bass/crappie, etc.

All said and done, I prefer fishing to eating them - I like both, but catch and release is part and parcel with 'fishing' for me. Long rod steelhead fishing is a wonderful sport - but - one needs a Cuban cigar in one's mouth while standing calf-deep in a river, spey fishing for Steelies.
Haven't fished for them since I quit smoking - won't be the same, but I do have 4 long rods that need "wetting" now and then, maybe this spring?

This type of fishing, just makes you feel one with nature.

Still hunting through a quite bush - same feeling - or just sitting, leaning up against a fir, spruce or pine tree, listening to the world around you, no sounds but nature's, wind, small animals and birds, maybe deer, elk or moose, walking, rustling in the leaves, tree's needles and foliage, squirrels digging in the pine or spruce needles - just love it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com