JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
14/02/09 11:43 PM
Re: This gal is amazing

She's good!
For a right handed caster with the right hand uppermost on the grip, a single spey cast would enable you to fish downstream off the left bank with no backcast. A double spey would enable you to fish off the right bank with no back cast. Because the line is already moving faster, some people find a double spey easier to learn than the single. The idea behind the snake roll is to get the line moving faster. It can be used from the right bank instead of the double spey.... and it looks flash! Just be sure to tape up the rod joints with any spey casting (esp. double and snake rolls) because otherwise at some point you'll see your rod top flying off and potentially breaking the tip!

Some of the very best spey rods are made by Thomas and Thomas. I use an 11'6 #8 Hardy which I love and a much older (my first Salmon rod) 15'4 #10 (actually #11) Hardy. I have long coveted a 15' T&T but since I moved south from Perthshire I have little need for it. If I were to replace the 15 footer I'd probably go for a 14' #9 or #10 if I wasn't going to be using heavy brass waddington flies and sunk lines!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com