dnovo
(.333 member)
09/03/08 05:34 AM
Re: Show Your Bellies!

Thanks. Sounds as it was described, and the cartridge is no doubt why it sat there for a while and why they were willing to 'listen to reason'on price. I ended up with a very nice WR recently in a smaller caliber as the market seems to be in love with the big 'African' chamberings. I suspect once it arrives, it will find a home here as there are enough big honkers in the current collection, including once modern 500NE (and no, there is no need on earth to go larger than that, despite the 577 and 600 premium that anything in those chamberings bring)and my favorite big bore, a WR 476 Droplock from the first decade of the last century that looks far better for its age than its present owner does at his.

Too many very, very nice doubles in the smaller (i.e. under say 450-400) seem to languish on a dealer's shelf or on the Net while the bigger the kick in your shoulder, and your wallet, the faster they go out. Me? I would love to buy a top of the line double in a 22 Hornet, but every one I have found-- and they are scare on the ground -- other than the stupidly overpriced one at Conn. Shotgun, has been in poor condition. I have a whole lot of fun with a Webley Double in 250 Savage I bought from George last year, perfectly proportioned to the round, fun and accurate to shoot, and cheaper than dirt to feed -- as it was (comparatively) to buy. For shooting a double, and I shoot mine rather than leave them in the vault, I prefer the smaller calibers.

But, as part of my mea culpa for using other folks photos, albeit nicely done shots, here is one I just went downstairs and snapped of the 'belly' of an older H&H, a very nice hammer double in 500/450 BP. I thought showing a belly with a 'navel' might be fun. Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com