CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/02/08 11:44 PM
Show Your Bellies!

Maybe I'm obsessed with pieces and parts. Several years ago I started a thread featuturing double rifle muzzles.
It drew some interest, and you can see it here:

"It's What's Up Front That Counts"

Well, my right arm was laid up for a while, and that got me to thinking about what I could post once I got
back my ability to type and work with photos. The answer: BELLIES!

We handle our beloved guns, we carry them, we shoot them, and usually they are right side up. In a way,
that's a boring position. We see the top of the gun, and often the side of the gun, particularly if we
lay it down. What we don't see from normal handling is the belly of the gun.

To see the belly you have to turn the gun upside down. It won't stay in that position naturally. Nobody
carries a gun upside down. If you lay a gun down, it stays on its side. It takes a bit of effort to look
at the gun's belly.

But the belly provides the broadest expanse of metal for the engraver's art. The actioner also takes
a lot of interest in the belly with his files as he sculptures the action. There's a lot to look
at under there.

So I decided to show some bellies, and I would like to look at your bellies too. Everybody get your camera,
turn your guns belly up, and snap a photo. Let's look at BELLIES!

I'm going to start with some rifle bellies, but I have photos of shotgun bellies too. I don't think
I'll get thrown off the forum for posting shotgun bellies, and you won't either.

Here's my first belly, and it's a nice one. This is my Woodward .450/.400 3.25" double rifle. To my eye
this is as fine a layout of tight English scroll as can be found.

More to come.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com