Anonymous
(Unregistered)
18/01/08 03:16 PM
Re: J. Rigby 450NE Rising Bite

Quote:

Sinner:

I looked at this rifle at the Dallas Safari Club show this past weekend. I really thought about buying it, but decided against it, primarily as it would have involved tying up a lot of money in something I would use very little. It was a beautiful piece, however, as you note. According to G& H it is the same rifle as pictured in the Hoyem book on British cartridges. I compared the photo there with the rifle itself and noted some indentations at the rear of the lockplates and some screws which have beeb semi-buggered, but that's all I could really see. I'm curious as to the "condition issues" you see from the photos. I would really appreciate your further comments for my own edification--and education. No one can afford mistakes at this level!

Thanks!

Hi Kim,

It's been a long time since we spoke last, I hope your well.

Yes if they say it's the one pictured in the book, I believe them, Paul and Joe are good folks.

Regarding the rifle. If you look closely at the photos, you can see a fracture crack behind the right lock plate, and a sizable piece missing from the other side. Indicating the stock may be in poor shape in the interior of the carriage. It does look like the original wood, and they often came without a cheekpiece. There is no colors left anywhere on the metal that is original to my eye. The barrels reveal surface pitting at the breach that appears fairly deep in spots. I have no idea about the bores, or if this is even the original chambering, I'm assuming there okay. The screws need to be changed out, engraved, and re-indexed.

Certainly it is still a treasure worth seeking, I would just have it completely looked over by a knowledgeable smith and shot for accuracy.

Cheers.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com