DoubleD
(.400 member)
09/01/24 02:13 AM
Re: Westley Richards .303 BLE

I got confused a bit here, but at my age that is neither unusual or unexpected--I was trying figure out why a beautiful rifle like this traveled from the US to Australia. Then I noticed the quote.

But anyway being late to the party, I have a question for CPT Curl about his 16 year old post.

Cpt, you identify this gun a .303 British. This gun is marked for .303 Ammunition.

I have been in discussion with my friend Malcolm Cobb in Durbin about rifles so marked. He has a single shot WR 1897 marked for .303 ammunition. I have sporting Martini made for Rawbone, Capetown on a Greener sporting Martini Action also marked for .303 Ammunition.

Malcom's rifle is old worn metford rifle so true bore can not be determine. My rifle is 6 groove Enfield rifled and groove diameter is .303.

I wasn't aware of the the difference until I fired .303 British ammo in my gun. The first and second shots seemed just fine and extracted beautifully off onto the ground at the range. The third shot resulted in a puff of smoke coming out of the action and only head of case extracting.

Winfer has information on a Westley Richards .303 cartridge that measure .308 in the grooves. Checking my gun what I found, .303 groove, not .308 or .311. Ordered some .303 diameter bullets from Hawk and all was fine.

So I wonder is this wonderful looking double truly .303 British or is it perhaps WR .303 Special?

Cpt Curl?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com