CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
22/06/23 09:43 PM
Re: John Rigby Melissa 9of20 .500 Rising bite

Not to my liking at all.

I agree entirely with what Tinker said about the engraving. I don't care what level of skill is exhibited. If the product is inappropriate or unappealing, the art fails.

A double rifle is the quintessential sporting arm; not a combat weapon. If it is to display scenes or pictures, the theme should be sporting use of the rifle.

It is not out of bounds to express genuine opinions of Rigby's current production, whether or not advertising is present.

I remember many years ago an actual Holland & Holland catalog In my possession in which there was featured an H&H Royal Deluxe double rifle embellished with pictures of the character, "J.R. Ewing" of the American television show "Dallas." We laughed at that, with no recrimination. But there's no dispute the embellishment of that rifle was done with impeccable skill. That doesn't make it appropriate or attractive. Yeah, some rich client ordered it. Does that mean I should admire it? Not for me.

I had not noticed the beheading scene until this morning when I read this thread and Tinker's critique. I'm a little late to this thread. That's just a shitty scene and inappropriate for use on a sporting arm. Call a spade a spade. Let the rich guy who ordered it puff it to his friends. I would not want it in my collection.

JMHO, YMMV

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com