FlatTop45
(.300 member)
25/02/23 09:49 AM
Re: Red dot & reflex sights

Beautiful double rifle and if having a red dot works better for you than open sights and makes you a better shooter, I say more power to you. Who cares what anyone else thinks? It's your gun, use it as you see fit.

That being said...

I totally agree with CptCurl's comments about red dots. The way I see it, a red dot / holo-type scope on a fine rifle or shotgun is like having an elevator in an outhouse...

It just don't belong!

Don't get me wrong, red dots do have definite benefits for shooters and are typically faster and easier to use than open sights. But most of them are just so damn ugly! Even though I know the better ones are strong and well made, to me they look fragile and awkward and generally ruin the looks of a fine, walnut and blued-steel firearm. Even though there are some more streamlined types available, I find the ocular lens on those to typically be on the smaller side and so not as quick to use.

Maybe it's just me, but even though rifle scopes tend to be much larger and heavier than a red dot and actually sit higher on the gun, they just look like they're supposed to be there. Like they are a part of the rifle. With the exception of those with open sights, a bolt action rifle without a scope just looks odd and unfinished. At least, it does to me...

When the first laser sighting systems for personal firearms came out back in the 80's(?), they were large, tube or box-like affairs that were heavy, expensive and just awkward as hell (sound familiar?). But, as technology has moved forward, lasers have evolved. Now, they are much lighter and smaller, are very affordable and are capable of being integrated into the gun itself, such as within the frame or the grip panels of a handgun.

If only someone would only do the same for red dots! You know, invent one that is designed to integrate properly with a particular firearm in both appearance, function and materials (i.e. same type of steel with same type of finish) and a more streamlined mount. A system that blends in and looks like it belongs there instead of looking like a pickle jar duct-taped on top of a Red Ryder BB Gun!

Oh well, maybe someday...

J

Contact Us NitroExpress.com