paradox_
(.375 member)
25/09/20 05:30 PM
Re: A magnificent Rigby Risisng Bite In 256 Mannlicher

""I don't remember him being "fond" of the .256 for elephant at all? I do remember him thinking it very suitable and fond use of it for buffalo. Just my recollection. Have to read them all again"".

When Bell stepped ashore on land still leased to Leopold, King of the Belgians, but occupied by the Congo authorities , he states the following

" After being granted a licence to hunt he recalls finding a nice little herd of bulls

“ several of which I killed with the brain shot”
At the time I was using a very light and sweet working Mann.-Sch. Carbine, 256 bore and weighing only 51/4 lb. With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extrodinary luck, and should have continued to use it in preference to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck"".

Not withstanding Bells love of the Rigby 275.....perhaps with correct ammunition he would have stuck with the llitte 256??

Bell used many different rifles and was also very " fond" of the 303 due to its 10 shot magazine, a distinct advantage over his Rigby when amongst a big troop of Bulls.

Best
Eric

Contact Us NitroExpress.com