4seventy
(Sponsor)
10/03/20 04:32 PM
Re: Doubles At Auction

Quote:

Quote:

Only for your information, Mr. Claude Bouchet was absolutely not a gunsmith, he was a very good self taught machinist, passionate about very big bore double rifles.
His challenge was to make this pair of true monobloc barrels, that is to say, drawn from the same block of steel, and while I remember the tests carried out at the time (circa 1970) by Raymond Caranta the convergence was perfect.
We see that the man did not have a very large culture and little knowledge about classic rifle design and even if I am deeply sorry about the result I recognize his mechanical tour de force.
The system is also very specific, unrelated to anything that has been designed previously.
The adornment is hideous because it was done by beginners with a very small budget.
On the other hand, the wood and leather case is the work of the FAC (Fabrique d'Articles de Cuir), very serious people of great reputation who have equipped prestigious manufacturers.
Those who know me will understand that I cannot like this weapon but I pay tribute to the will, the ingenuity and the patience of its designer.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

That puts it in a very different light, and I heartily echo your sentiments. While the finished product is not to the standard we all expect in a professionally-made rifle, as a product of an amateur machinist with no previous gunsmithing training, I am in great admiration of M. Bouchet. We all have these dreams of a personal masterpiece, made to our own vision and nobody else's, but few of us ever realize them. M. Bouchet has overcome huge challenges and done just that, and I doubt that many with his level of experience could equal it, let alone do better. As fine piece of a gunmaker's art, it leaves much to be desired; as a first effort, it's incredible. Well done, that man!

vykkagur,

Very well said, and I agree with you totally.
It's not the prettiest double on the planet but it is indeed an engineering masterpiece.
Anyone who can machine the two barrels from one piece of steel, and get the convergence right, certainly has my respect.

And Mr Dorleac, thankyou Sir for your informative and highly valued details on this unique double rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com