CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/09/15 11:48 PM
Re: Holland & Holland .303 Hammer Double Rifle

My thanks to all for your kind compliments.

Quote:

Those guns with no hammers are just a passing fad, you know......

How true! But Mike, do you remember about 15 years ago when Purdey tried to make a batch of hammer shotguns? They really didn’t look like a vintage Purdey at all. Kind of clunky. I’m afraid the skill is lost to the passage of time.

Let me point out one discrepancy: In their “Weapon History” above, they state the weight of the gun as 9 lbs. 14 oz. This is a mis-read of the ledger entry. You can see from my scan of the ledger entry that the weight was stated as 9 lbs. 1-1/4 oz. That is the true weight. Just a hair over 9 lbs. When I saw the weight stated in the Weapon History I was startled. I knew the rifle is not that heavy. Putting it on scales and a careful read of the ledger entry revealed the mistake.

I’m curious to know whether anybody has encountered another Holland & Holland double rifle similar to this one. I’m not asking about H&H hammer rifles from the black powder era. I’m asking about any nitro rifles built on this toplever back action hammer pattern. I don’t recall seeing another just like this one.

I just love this rifle! It really shoots well. Maybe a white tail deer in November!

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com