awanderingbear
(.224 member)
06/06/14 06:34 AM
Re: Doubles At Auction

In 1977 I was working at the far western end of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska. Most likely I was one of the last in the country to get my subscription copy of Shotgun News! About 2/3rds the way back there was a small For Sale ad by John Jobson, Sports Afield magazine outdoor writer. Listed among the half dozen or so rifles was a Manton & Company, Calcutta & Delhi, double rifle in .405 Winchester.

On the next mail plane off the island (mail came and went twice a week, weather permitting) was my letter to him letting him know if the .405 Manton was still available I would like to purchase it. A couple of weeks later a letter from Mr. Jobson arrived. His letter informed me I was 2nd on the list of buyers, that he had a buyer coming to see him, the Sunday after I received his letter.

I phoned Mr. Jobson that Sunday afternoon (not always easy making calls from the Aleutian Islands back then). He told me the 1st option buyer was setting in his living room and had agreed to purchase the Manton double rifle and all of the ammunition. Missed that one I figured.

About 3 months later a letter from the buyer (I do not recall his name) reached me in the Aleutians and he was agreeable to sell me the Manton .405, if I still wanted it? His letter reached me 2 days before I was flying out to the lower-48 States. I called and we made a gentleman's agreement for my purchasing the double rifle.

I drove to the seller's home in El Centro, California. We went into his game room. Three Greater Kudu, a cape buffalo, and other assorted game heads adorned the walls. Lion, zebra and other rugs were upon the floor. In a built-in glass case on one wall were 8 Winchester .50-110 rifles! Another built-in wall display case had various bolt action rifles and shotguns. He has a Westley Richards Best Grade .450 in its case resting on a side table - a treat that was. On another side table was the Manton & Company .405 Winchester double rifle, apart in its case.

As the link below shall show, exquisite fine engraving, with an urn on each side and bottom of the action. Assuredly this had been a Maharajah's tiger rifle at one time. The seller asked if I'd like to fire it? Well yah...! He provided me with 2 Kynoch factory rounds, and I stepped outside of his house and fired 2 rounds into a stump next to his pasture. A splendid balanced and handling double rifle, my first.

He shared with me that he'd purchased the Manton double mainly for the large amount of factory .405 Winchester ammunition Mr. Jobson had to go with it! He said when he would go on safari to Africa he used a Winchester Model 1895 .405 WCF as his camp gun, for baboons. He went on safari to Africa several times. For his son's 16th birthday he took him on safari. He really didn't have a strong interest in the Manton, he had his Westley Richards .450 Best Grade for his double. I had 17+ boxes of factory Winchester .405 WCF ammunition of my own (I had a Winchester Model 1895 takedown), so his keeping all but 2 boxes of Kynoch ammunition was fine with me. We were both happy n' content.

I took the Manton .405 WCF back to Alaska with me, though wouldn't bring myself to take it afield in a river boat or on a 4-wheeler for hunting. Admittedly, back the, I was in a bit of awe with double rifles! In the early 1990's it was sold to a buyer in California, through a friend of mine, and away it went. For 17 years is rested in my gun safe, even taken to the range to be shot occasionally and was appreciated greatly...I just didn't use it, then my interests drifted into Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle/carbines.

Of all things, while browsing around on the internet a month ago, there was/is, listed a Manton & Company .405 WCF for sale! Upon opening up the web site, there was the splendid Manton & Company .405 WCF double rifle that I had been allowed to be a caretaker of for 17 years. What a treat to be to visit an old friend like this. If only it could share where it's been since the early 1990's.

Thank you for allowing a bit of reminiscing here.
Go here to view this splendid example of fine craftsmanship:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/BEAUTIFUL-MANTON-DOUBLE-RIFLE.cfm?gun_id=100443117

Contact Us NitroExpress.com