NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/12/13 09:36 PM
Re: MY New Krieghoff 500NE with EJECTOR

Quote:

Ok, I am not trying to start a fight here but some folks would have some heartburn with somebody saying they aren't rich when they just dropped 10 or 15 grand or whatever the cost on a gun. I sure can't do that. I guess "rich" is a relative term, and I would guess (and I could be very wrong here) that the majority of double rifle owners are at least what most people would call "more affluent". Sure I have some nice guns, but if I wanted to own a double (which I do, someday) I'd have to sell all of my guns I have now to be able to afford an old beater of a double rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you. I'm twice your age and still can't afford one.

I'm going to chime in here. Because this topic comes up every now and again. I'll include some of my personal comparisons.

Yes, the majority of double rifle owners tend to be more affluent. Some are filthy rich though!

But a lot are also common guys and probably don't earn more than you do.

But it really comes down to choices. Here is some examples. Guys from another forum in Australia used to moan about how poor they were, how DRs were only for rich bastards, that sort of thing. But almost all of these persons had a 4WD or car that was less than four years old. Some of their 4WDs/SUVs must cost two or three times my most expensive DR!!! BTW my Landcruiser is a 1990 model, and my car is around a year 2000 model.

Some of these guys were jealous because I showed photos of my quad bike. They said they would like one like that but couldn't afford one. They would like one for hunting trips ..... HELLS BELLS - I don't own one for hunting, I own it for 100% farm use. The only hunting it does is near home, as it never goes on a long trip. So far anyway. I couldn't afford it just for "luxury" hunting trips.

Flat screen TVs? I got my first one only last year. Seeing as I had to upgrade to a digital signal I got a bloody big one too.

When these forums first started off, we had a member who was a police officer and claimed he could never afford to hunt on a safari in Africa, it was only for the rich. A similar topic to expensive double rifles is expensive African safaris. I pointed out to this guy that he had three gun safes and probably around 400 to 500 firearms all together, being a large military rifle collection. If he sold off one-third of them he could easily go on a hunting safari. He admitted he could never do that, but didn't like the reality pointed out.

Some people have big families and lots of kids. Some men have lots of ex-wives!

Some guys have two jobs, or part time/second business to feed their hunting and fine guns obsessions. Or some other means to an end.

As I said it SOMETIMES comes down to choices. Not knocking any of the above, but if the results are due to personal choices, then one lives with the result.

NE btw is a fine guns and hunting site. One doesn't have to own a $20,000 or $200,000 rifle! Some of the fine rifles eg some of the mausers and mannlichers - check out the auctions - are actually similar in price to the modern commonly produced rifles eg from $700 and up of course, except far far nicer. I have seen double rifles from $2000 to $9000 in price, medium calibres can be cheaper, and second hand big bores in plain models can be in the $7G to $9G range if one is lucky. But don't expect good engraving or quality walnut to come cheaply.

Edited to add: And guys using Remchesters are more than welcome. In the end they are tools to use for hunting and shooting. I own mine for hunting, and sometimes wish for less guns and more hunting myself. (end edit)

Some guys buy one, go on a safari and sell it again afterwards. Not for me, I want to die with mine.

Bear in mind also cultural differences. European hunters often are willing to purchase firearms of far higher quality and higher prices than most firearm owners are willing to spend in Australia and the USA. They are also often limited to the number they can own, but also are willing to invest in long term quality. JMO.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com